Note – Deadline extended to September 18, 2020 at 5pm EST
Word Feast is happy to announce its first annual Fredericton Playhouse contest. Our judge for this year’s contest is Tim Yerxa, Executive Director of the Fredericton Playhouse. The winner will receive a $50 voucher from the Playhouse as well as a $150 cash prize.
So. . .
Have you been missing your concerts, plays, and recitals at the Fredericton Playhouse? Here’s a chance to write a first-person fictional account that draws from those memories or explores a future event. Let your imagination run wild! What would it be like to be a microphone in the Playhouse: does the pandemic make that a cringe-worthy prospect? Who might attend a performance in the new Playhouse building in 2120? You can tell your story from the point of view of anyone or anything you might find in the Fredericton Playhouse, in any time period.
The contest opens on August 4, 2020. The deadline is 5pm (Atlantic) on September 4, 2020. The winner will be announced during Word Feast: Fredericton’s Literary Festival, September 23 to 27, 2020. A reading by winners of our 2020 contests will be organized soon.
1. Submissions will only be accepted between August 4 and September 4, 2020 (5pm).
2. Only New Brunswick residents or post-secondary students attending a New Brunswick school are eligible. (We want to provide opportunities to showcase New Brunswick talent!)
3. A submission is one story, maximum 750 words.
4. All submissions must mention the Fredericton Playhouse and be written in the first person (the “I” voice).
5. Entry fee: $10 — payment must be received by the deadline or the submission will not be considered. Payment can be made by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Submissions must be stripped of identifying information and emailed as an attachment to email@example.com. Please include your name and address in the body of the email.
7. Writers can submit more than one entry, but each entry must be accompanied by the entry fee.
Good luck! A shortlist will be contacted by September 18